What is Birth Photography?
Birth Photography is capturing your journey through your baby’s first breath and first cry, cutting the cord, your first expressions and when you see his/her face and everything about that brand new bundle of joy and each one of his/her first precious and incredible moments of life, right from the delivery room.
Why hire a birth photographer?
Your baby’s birth is one of the most emotional & momentous occasions in your life! The more accurate question would be – Why wouldn’t you hire a Birth Photographer?
The labor and birth of your child are some of the most precious moments of your life and worth being preserved. Birth photography captures your unique labor and delivery story so that you can revisit these first extraordinary moments for the rest of your life.
You won’t regret it. Because nothing can compare to that moment when you and your baby meet for the first time…when two become three… when a family is born.
They say that the memories of these first few moments fade so quickly. And, sadly it is true. Adrenaline, medication and excitement clouds your memory. Birth Photography helps capture & preserve these precious memories for you. Parents at that time are so focused on a million different things- the health of mom, the health of baby, the pain! Who wants to think about taking pictures at a time like this?! That’s where we come in!
Wouldn’t you rather hold your partners hand during this special time, than be distracted by taking photographs?
We are there to capture your Birth Story.
How graphic will the photos be?
One of the most asked question is “will you take picture’s of everything?’ And our answer is, we are careful to capture tasteful and beautiful images, so there is no worry about your modesty or privacy. Being female photographers ourselves, we ensure that your memories are beautiful and class.
Are you on call 24/7- what if I go into labor at 3 am?
When you book a shoot with us, one of our photographers will keep in touch with you, taking updates. Even if you go into labor in the middle of the night, one of our photographer would be available 24/7 for you.
Will you use any flashes or external lights during the shoot?
This is one of our most frequently asked questions. And the answer is NO. We are all trained and equipped to photograph in extremely erratic lighting of the hospitals. Also, we do not want to risk harming a newborn baby’s eye’s with so much light. Rest assured you will get beautiful photographs no matter how bad the lighting is.
Have you ever photographed a C-Section?
Yes! all birth’s are precious and we have experience photographing all types of birthing situations. We are equipped to photograph inside the operation theater and you will still get beautiful images of your first meeting with your little bundle of joy.
Do we meet before the birth?
Absolutely! In case you wish to meet us before the shoot we can fix a meeting. We love to meet and discuss your preferences and what all you want to get photographed. He’s the best way to get to know each other, answer questions and make sure we’re on the same page.
Why is Birth Photography such an investment?
Birth can be very unpredictable and typically has no predetermined time for when it will happen nor how long it will last. We could be with you 6 hours or 30. We are on-call and available for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for sometimes up to a month, which means not being more than an hour away at any given time, all for the passion and love of helping you welcome your baby. Birth photographers are some of the most skilled in the industry as they have to have knowledge on how to produce excellent quality of images in the very difficult and often dark lighting situations that mothers often birth in. Your birth photographer should have top of the line equipment to produce excellent results. Think of the standard price range of wedding photography.
Will I be comfortable with a camera in my Birth Space?
We meet clients before attending their birth. We want us to get to know one and other and feel comfortable together before the big day. Consider us a fly on the wall during birth. We shoot with intention, our camera only goes up when the moment is right.
When should we book the shoot?
As soon as you decide to have your birth photographed. The sooner the better! This gives you a chance to meet the photographer well in advance and discuss in detail about the shoot
How do we book a shoot?
Contact us through the contact page or send us an email
Why are people hesitant to hire a professional photographer for the occasion? We often hear that they don’t want an extra person in the birth room, they don’t want the occasion captured on film or if they do then they feel confident in their husbands ability to handle the camera… So, to those people that need convincing, here are 6 reasons why you need a professional birth photographer.?
(1) You Forget. Things during birth become a definite blur, and even more of a blur for the next 2 hours after birth. These photos will jog your memories, and since the photos turn out so beautiful, they definitely jog back beautiful memories.
(2) Babies change so quickly. They can come out of the womb and look incredibly different an hour later (Birth is a whirl wind, by the time the dad has a chance to pick up the camera their head shape has already changed, feet have stretched out, that crooked nose has already slightly straightened etc.)
(3) Fathers should be in the photos not taking the photos. Birth can be an emotional roller coaster (for the dad too!) and he shouldn’t have to worry about handling a camera during labour delivery and the first couple hours of life. Let him support you, enjoy holding his baby, and greeting family visitors!
(4) The emotion and expression experienced during a birth is priceless! How amazing to be able to look back at the expression you had when you met your child for the first time, and their expression when they met you. Birth is full of real emotion that you will likely never have the chance to get in other photo sessions. The smiles are real. The tears are real. The exhaustion is real. The love is real!
(5) Quality Crisp Images. If you tried to take photos in a darkened birth room, you would likely need to use a flash with your camera, but birth photographers have proper equipment and lenses to be able to take crisp photos in low light without a flash, and that’s important when dealing with a newborn’s sensitive eyes.
(6) The Value of Beautiful Images. People don’t bat an eye at booking a maternity or newborn photo session… but why not value the moment the baby actually enters this world? Personally we think it’s nice to have newborn shots, but if you have to chose between hiring us for maternity/ newborn pictures or birth pictures, please pick birth! Birthing is one of the most important journey’s in one’s life, and to have the story captured on film from beginning to end is special.
Canadian Birth Photographer Assoc.